“Social media” refers to a variety of online communities like blogs, social networks, chat rooms and forums. This policy covers all of them.
Borealis Tanker Kiralama AS considers two different elements: using personal social media at work and representing our company through social media.
We allow employees to access their personal accounts at work. But, we expect them to act responsibly and ensure their productivity isn’t affected. Using social media excessively while at work can reduce efficiency and concentration. Whether employees are using their accounts for business or personal purposes, they may easily get sidetracked by the vast amount of available content.
We advise our employees to:
- Use their common sense. If employees neglect their job duties to spend time on social media, their decline in productivity will show on their performance reviews.
- Ensure others know that personal account or statements don’t represent our company. Employees shouldn’t state or imply that their personal opinions and content are authorized or endorsed by our company. We advise using a disclaimer such as “opinions are my own” to avoid misunderstandings.
- Avoid sharing intellectual property like trademarks on a personal account without approval. Confidentiality policies and laws always apply.
- Avoid any defamatory, offensive or derogatory content. It may be considered as a violation of our company’s anti-harassment policy, if directed towards colleagues, clients or partners.
Some employees represent our company by handling corporate social media accounts or speak on our company’s behalf. We expect them to act carefully and responsibly to protect our company’s image and reputation. Employees should:
- Be respectful, polite and patient, when engaging in conversations on our company’s behalf. They should be extra careful when making declarations or promises towards customers and stakeholders
- Avoid speaking on matters outside their field of expertise when possible. Everyone should be careful not to answer questions or make statements that fall under somebody else’s responsibility
- Avoid deleting or ignoring comments for no reason. They should listen and reply to criticism.
- Never post discriminatory, offensive or libelous content and commentary
- Correct or remove any misleading or false content as quickly as possible